Added on 23 October 2020
BRINDLEY ASSOCIATES LIMITED has undertaken a Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA) at Castle Cluggy. The survey was requested to inform plans to carry out proposed conservation and landscape works to the castle ruins and surrounding area. Trustees will take the various recommendations on board as the project progresses. The main ecological value at the site includes:
- The site's location within an area of ancient woodland;
- The castle ruins' suitability to support roosting bats and nesting birds including barn owl;
- Three trees within the site with potential bat roost features;
- Loch Monzievaird provides suitable habitat to support otter; and
- Invasive rhododendron recorded throughout the site.